Eligibility for GATE
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
About the GATE Examination
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India examination that primarily tests a comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in Engineering and Technology. The GATE score of a candidate reflects a relative performance level in a particular paper in the exam across several years. The score is used for admissions to post-graduate engineering programmes (eg. M.E., M.Tech, direct Ph.D.) in Indian higher education institutes with financial assistance provided by MHRD and other Government agencies. The score may also be used by Public sector units for employment screening purposes.
- The GATE score card is valid for the two years.
- There is no limit for number of attempts and age for the GATE examination, so candidate can appear in the GATE examination at any age and many times as per candidate wish.
- GATE Score: After the evaluation of the answers, the raw marks obtained by a candidate will be converted to a normalized GATE Score. From 2013, the GATE score will be computed by a new formula. The GATE Score of a condidate is computed from:
- S = GATE Score (normalised) of a candidate,
- M = Marks obtained by a candidate in a paper,
- = Qualifying Marks for general category candidates in the paper,
- = Average Marks fo top 0.1% or 10 (which ever is higher) of candidates in the paper,
- = GATE Score assigned to M t (around 900), and
- = GATE Score assigned to Mq (around 300),
is usually 25 marks (out of 100) or which ever is higher. Here is the mean of marks in a paper and is the standard deviation.
- Generally, GATE results will be announced in every around march 15.
Eligibility for GATE according to the 2013 notification
Only the following categories of candidates are eligible to appear for GATE 2013. Necessary supporting documents must be submitted ONLINE or by post during the submission of the application form for the exam. Please read this carefully and make sure that your year of qualification is not later that what is specified below.
Qualifying Degre e/
Description of Eligible
Year of qualification
Copies of Certificates to be submitted for Students who Passed in the year 2012 or earlier
Copies of Certificates to be submitted for Students who Expected to complete in 2013 or later
Bachelor’s degree in
4th year of completed
Master’s degree in any
Final year or completed
Int. M.E./M.Tech or
Integrated Master’s degre e
4th/5th year or completed
Degree Certificat6e /
Int. M.E/M.Tech (Post BSc)
Post-BSc Integrated Master’s
2nd / 3rd / 4th year or completed
Degree Certificat6e /
B.E/B.Te ch equivalent
Completed section A or
Certificate from Principal
Candidates who have to submit a certificate from their Principal, as determined from the above table, have to obtain a signature from their principal on a certificate that will be printed on the application PDF file provided after completion of online application submission.
Candidates with backlogs
Candidates who have appeared in the final semester/year exam in 2012, but with a backlog (arrears/ failed subjects) in any of the papers in their qualifying degree should submit
- A copy of any one of the marks sheets of the final year, OR
- A letter from the principal indicating that the student has a backlog from an earlier semester/year to be cleared, and therefore cannot produce a course completion certificate now. This certificate will also be present in the last portion of the PDF application form provided to you after you submit application online.