Eligibility Conditions for CSIR-UGC – JRF (NET)
CSIR-UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) for Junior Research Fellowship and
About the CSIR-UGC (NET): CSIR-NET Exam is mandatory for candidates aspiring to teach in various degree colleges/ universities in all over India. CSIR-UGC conducts JRF/NET exam twice a year in the month of June and December. The exam will be conducted in different subjects like Mathematical Sciences, Physical Sciences & Life Sciences etc.
Recent changes in CSIR-UGC:
- Observing that “the courts should not venture into academic field, Delhi High Court has upheld the mandatory requirement of clearing the NET or SLET for appointment to the post of Lecturer.
- The University Grants Commission (UGC) framed the Rule & Regulations – 2009 in July. Which says that NET or SLET is mandatory for appointment of Lecturers.
- At least 55% marks or equivalent grade is required in master degree for NET qualification.
- At least one Professor in each Dept. in P.G. College is a requirement.
- The new regulations have also created an additional post senior professor. Accordingly, the new hierarchy in ascending order is assistant professor, associate professor, professor and senior professor.
- One post of a professor in each department of the postgraduate college, and of 10% posts in an undergraduate college shall be of those from professors only.
Conditions of Eligibility for CSIR-JRF(NET)
Educational Qualification: BS-4 years program/BE/B. Tech/B. Pharma/MBBS/Integrated BS-MS/M.Sc. or Equivalent degree with at least 55% marks for General & OBC (50% for SC/ST candidates, Physically and Visually handicapped candidates) Candidate enrolled for M.Sc. or having completed 10+2+3 years of the above qualifying examination are also eligible to apply in the above subject under the Result Awaited (RA) category on the condition that they complete the qualifying degree with requisite percentage of marks within the validity period of two years to avail the fellowship from the effective date of award.
Such candidates will have to submit the attestation format (Given at the reverse of the application form) duly certified by the Head of the Department/Institute from where the candidate is appearing or has appeared.
B.Sc. (Hons) or equivalent degree holders or students enrolled in integrated MS-Ph.D program with at least 55% marks for General & OBC candidates; 50% for SC/ST candidates, Physically and Visually handicapped candidates are also eligible to apply.
Candidates with bachelor’s degree, whether Science, engineering or any other discipline, will be eligible for fellowship only after getting registered/enrolled for Ph.D/integrated Ph.D. programme within the validity period of two years.
The eligible for lectureship of NET qualified candidates will be subject to fulfilling the criteria laid down by UGC. Ph.D. degree holders who have passed Master’s degree prior to 19th September, 1991 with at least 50% marks are eligible to apply for Lectureship only.
Age Limit & Relaxation
The age limit for admission to the Test is as under: For JRF (NET): Maximum 28 years (upper age limit may be relaxed up to 5 years in case of candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC (As per GOI central list), Physically handicapped/Visually handicapped and female applicants).
For Lectureship (NET): No upper age limit.